For years now, beacons have remained one of the top buzzwords of the tech industry and now with the advanced concepts of IoT (Internet of Things), it looks like Beacons is here to stay for the long run.
In fact, if we talk about the latest mobile app development trends of this year, beacon technology is definitely one of them. But in order to know what actually a beacon application is you also need to understand the basics of the beacons technology. So without wasting any time let’s begin with the main things that you need to know about beacons.
Essential Things You Need To Know About Beacons
A beacon can be simply defined as a device that is used to send out signals and allows itself to be recognized by other devices. These devices do not carry any particular information on them and also do not rely on the Internet for the connection.
With that being said, here are some of the crucial things you shouldn’t miss about a beacon device:
- Platform Independent: Yes, that’s true! Beacons are platform independent in nature and there are not a lot of people who are aware of this fact. As it is a low energy Bluetooth stack device, beacon mainly sends out packets of signals. Here, iBeacon acts as a basic layout of that packet which varies from one manufacturer to another.
- Internet-Connected: Another thing that creates confusion among people is the status of internet connectivity in a beacon device. In simple words, we can say that beacons are not internet-connected and this also included Wi-Fi connection as well. Many experts refer to beacon as a lighthouse as it sends out signals to make others aware of its presence.
- Data Storage: As discussed in the point above, a beacon is a device that is not capable of sensing the devices around it as there is no information stored in it regarding those devices. In other words, the primary task of a beacon is to send out signals without any requirement of internet connection.
- Determining Distance: Beacons are quite simple devices that do not have any information on them. In addition to this, beacons also act as a universal unique identifier in terms of both major as well as the minor. Due to their versatile nature, beacons are currently being used in multiple industry verticals including transportation and retail as well.
- Data Insights: Another interesting fact that many people don’t know about the beacon technology is that it can come in handy when it comes to customer insights. This valuable information will also guide you in optimizing your strategy to make the most of this opportunity of rephrasing your business tactics.
- Automate Experience: The next thing that you probably don’t know about beacons is that they also help in automating the buying experience for the end-users. This further directly impacts the sales of the business as well. Some great examples of using beacon technology in the retail industry are:
- Can we take your order?
- Would you like some help?
- Do you want a personal shopper dispatched to your location?
So these were some of the important things that you should know about beacons. Now, to get a better understanding of the working of beacon technology, let’s take a look at some of the leading beacon applications.
Top Beacon Apps To Try Out In 2019
Here is a list featuring some of the best beacon apps that you just can’t afford to miss in 2019:
NearBee is basically an alternative to nearby, which is a lightweight application that is free of cost. This app allows you to seamlessly integrate with beacons so that you can broadcast notifications on other iPhones. And no, it does not require any sort of user action for displaying push notifications on the screens’ of other devices.
Next in the list of top beacon apps is Event2Mobile which is an effective solution to drive a high level of engagement in events and conferences through the means of beacon-based messaging. This app does it all, from media sharing to attendee matchmaking there are various features to enhance the effectiveness of networking in the events as well as other social gatherings.
- Beacon Scanner
The app of Beacon Scanner is here to help you in scanning all the beacons around you. In addition to this, Beacon Scanner can also display a series of frames emitted by a single beacon device this means you will be able to see if a beacon if it emits multiple frames types. For instance, the radius network beacons can emit both iBeacon and AltBeacon frames at the very same time.
- Beacon Tools
The Beacon Tools application allows the end-users to register their Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons with the Google Beacon Registry. Once they are registered, they can now create small attachments for those beacon devices. If you are an app developer then you have the option of beacon scanning in your mobile app to ‘serve’ or even ‘deliver’ the registered attachments.
- Beacon Simulator
This is a BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) beacon simulator which has the capability of transforming your Android smartphone into a virtual beacon advertiser and transmitter. Here the app users have the option of creating their own personal collection of beacon configurations which can be used anytime and anywhere.
Some of the features offered by this beacon simulator app are:
- Can broadcast while advertising iBeacon, AltBeacon, and Eddystone frames.
- Has Eddystone support for URL, UID, unencrypted TLM, and EID.
- Users can create, edit, manage and also save their beacon configurations.
- Option to scan nearby beacons and copy their configurations.
- The app is available in both English and French languages.
- Provides a variety of tools to check the total number of broadcasts done through a device.
The above-mentioned applications are some of the best beacons apps that you should definitely have a look this year. But it all comes back to the app development part! If you are looking to have a great beacon mobile app build then you need to hire a leading app development company in the beacon industry.